Re: help with an unknown character

From: Elbrecht <sirfonts_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:57:07 +0100

You are right Alex -

but that is of no help too - I just hoped one of the Unicode pandits would recognize the beast right away!
The author is no logician - the book is more about dialectics - with lots of Greek philosophical terms only.
So I guess the traditional printer had no logical character available and looked for replacement from his set -
but than again: what printer glyph of the 1930s did he use - to maybe symbolize: NEGATION (?) - blackslash (?)

Like Indian "apoha" / Japanese "soku-hi":
        "A = nonA : A"
        "A = Ā : A"
        "A = \A : A"

You see I'm no logician too! But that's what makes sense to me…

Again - any idea about the replacement used in the 1930s?
This glyph must have been available in the printers sets…

Thanks again
HE

# # #

On Jan 11, 2013, at 1:26 AM, Alex Plantema <alex.plantema_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> … so the real title is different, and we still don’t know the author.
>
> "Principle of contradiction" is a translation of the title: Der Satz vom Widerspruch.
> The author is Eberhard Conze.
>
> Alex.

# # #

名 非 〇