Re: Dotted Circle plus Combining Mark as Text

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:28:10 +0100

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:41:12 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Is there standard way in Unicode to specify tht one wants to display
> a combining
> mark in isolation ?

Unicode recommends U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE as the base
character for combining marks to be displayed in isolation. I believe
the sequence <U+00A0, U+200D ZERO WIDTH JOINER> may actually be
required by Uniscribe, but I could have it wrong.

> Then it would be discarded by renderers, and it would know tht the
> combining mark must appear with its "ill-form", i.e. it would
> activate the lookup of U+25CC (in legcy fonts) or the new feature tht
> will select the a ppropriate form with its best default placeholder
> with the best metrics ?
>
> I would suggest a name for this OpenType feature "ilfm" (for
> ill-formed marks), distinct from "isol" already used for isolated
> base letters. This feature would map combining mrks (or ranges of
> combining marks) directly to the approprite
> glyph (possibly built as a composite glyph using common base glyph
> and the glyph of the combining mark itself with correct positioning).

This feature seems excessive. There should already be lookups to deal
with bases that are too narrow, e.g. a sanserif 'i'.

Richard.