RE: Corrigendum #9

From: Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 16:02:58 +0000

I also think that the verbiage swung too far the other way. Sure, I might need to save or transmit a file to talk to myself later, but apps should be strongly discouraged for using these for interchange with other apps.

Interchange bugs are why nearly any news web site ends up with at least a few articles with mangled apostrophes or whatever (because of encoding differences). Should authors’ tools or feeds or databases or whatever start emitting non-characters from internal use, then we’re going to have ugly leak into text “everywhere”.

So I’d prefer to see text that better permitted interchange with other components of an application’s internal system or partner system, yet discouraged use for interchange with “foreign” apps.

-Shawn