Re: Corrigendum #9

From: Markus Scherer <markus.icu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 08:48:57 -0700

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:

> I suspect everyone can agree on the edge cases, that noncharacters are
> harmless in internal processing, but probably should not appear in
> random text shipped around on the web.

Right, in principle. However, it should be ok to include noncharacters in
CLDR data files for processing by CLDR implementations, and it should be
possible to edit and diff and version-control and web-view those files etc.

It seems that trying to define "interchange" and "public" in ways that
satisfy everyone will not be successful.

The FAQ already gives some examples of where noncharacters might be used,
should be preserved, or could be stripped, starting with "Q: Are
noncharacters intended for interchange?
<http://www.unicode.org/faq/private_use.html#nonchar6>"

In my view, those Q/A pairs explain noncharacters quite well. If there are
further examples of where noncharacters might be used, should be preserved,
or could be stripped, and that would be particularly useful to add to the
examples already there, then we could add them.

markus