Re: Questions on the Unicode BiDirectional (BIDI) Algorithm

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 17:26:49 -0600

Richard Wordingham <richard dot wordingham at ntlworld dot com> wrote:

>> Specifically, I am looking for realized/resolving examples of an
>> Arabic number (AN) and character-containing domain name, (such as
>> مصر.com), but that which employs the BIDI algorithm to change an
>> Arabic 1, to a European number (EN) 1?
>
> The only interchange of these types in the BiDi algorithm is from
> European number to Arabic number, and this chiefly affects the tags on
> the characters for controlling reversals of the forwards direction and
> whether European separators and terminators are treated as part of the
> run of digits.

To clarify, I would not expect the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm to
change an Arabic digit into a European digit, or vice versa. I would not
ever expect it to change the identity of any character.

The UBA can change the bidirectional TYPE of a particular instance of a
character, so that it can be rendered properly, which I think is what
Richard meant. But it will never replace a "١" with a "1", nor will it
ever replace a "1" with a "١", which I think is what William Blackwood
meant.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­