Re: Questions on the Unicode BiDirectional (BIDI) Algorithm

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 20:38:07 +0100

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 14:47:57 -0400
"William Blackwood" <wblackwo_at_tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Specifically, I am looking for realized/resolving examples of an
> Arabic number (AN) and character-containing domain name, (such as
> مصر.com), but that which employs the BIDI algorithm to change an
> Arabic 1, to a European number (EN) 1?

The only interchange of these types in the BiDi algorithm is from
European number to Arabic number, and this chiefly affects the tags on
the characters for controlling reversals of the forwards direction and
whether European separators and terminators are treated as part of the
run of digits. The changes of the BiDi tags only affect the appearance
of the characters that look different in left-to-right and right-to left
text.

The AN digits are those of the Eastern end of the Arabic world. The
decimal digits used with the Arabic script to the West and East are EN -
U+0030 to U+0039 and U+06F0 to U+06F9.

Richard.