Roadmap to the TIP
The following table shows a map of the actual and proposed allocation on Plane 3, the TIP (Tertiary Ideographic Plane). A description of the presentation conventions used in the table is at the bottom of this page. The TIP (plane 3) is used for CJK Unified Ideographs (unified East Asian ideographs) that are not encoded in the BMP or SIP.
The TIP may also be used for encoding scripts belonging to the Old Hanzi Period, namely those of the Shāng Dynasty, the Western Zhōu Dynasty, the Spring and Autumn Period, the Warring Kingdoms, and the Qín Dynasty. The scripts envisaged for encoding are:
- Small Seal script (小篆, Xiǎo Zhuàn)
- Oracle Bone script (甲骨文, Jiǎgǔwén); inscriptions on animal bones and tortoise shells.
- Bronze script (金文, Jīnwén); inscriptions on ironware and bronze.
- The Warring States scripts. There were seven Warring States, namely Qín (秦), Chǔ (楚), Qí (齊), Yàn (燕), Hán (韓), Zhào (趙), and Wèi (魏):
- Bamboo books (簡牘, Jiǎndú)
- Silk writings (帛書, Bóshū)
- Pottery writings (陶文, Táowén)
- Jade and Stone scripts (includes carving on other materials; 玉石文字, Yùshí wénzì)
- Lacquer ware scripts (漆器, Qīqì)
- Ancient seal scripts (璽印, Xǐyìn)
- Currency scripts (錢幣, Qiánbì)
- The Bird and Insect scripts (鳥蟲書, Niǎochóngshū)
Other CJK related characters, including strokes, radicals, and punctuation are encoded on the BMP and SIP.
(Note: The name "Tertiary Ideographic Plane" has been formally assigned to this plane in PDAM 2.2 to the 5th ed of 10646.)
This document is informative and those parts reflecting proposals are of a provisional nature. Please send corrigenda and other comments to the authors using the online contact form.
Plane 3 is tentatively mapped out to the following ranges:
00030000-0003134F CJK Unified Ideographs Extension G
00031400-00033D1F Small Seal Script
00033E00-000355FF Oracle Bone Script
- Bold text indicates an allocated (that is, published) character collection.
For blocks containing assigned graphic or format characters, there is a link to the charts on the Unicode web site.
- (Bold text between parentheses) indicates scripts which have been formally accepted by UTC or WG2 for processing toward inclusion in the standard. There is generally a link to a mature proposal for the script.
- (Text between parentheses) indicates scripts for which proposals have been formally submitted to the UTC or to WG2. There is generally a link to the formal proposal.
- ¿Text between question marks? indicates scripts for which detailed proposals have not yet been written. There may be a link to an exploratory code table.
- ??? in a block indicates that no suggestion has been made regarding the block allocation.
- Color highlighting is used to indicate blocks and unassigned ranges which default to right-to-left character behavior.
- Grey shading is used to indicate ranges of control characters and noncharacters.
NOTE: When scripts are actually proposed to the UTC or to WG2, the practice is to "front" them in the zones to which they are tentatively allocated, and to adjust the block size with regard to the allocation proposed.
The size and location of the unallocated script blocks are merely proposals based on the current state of planning. The size and location of a script may change during final allocation of the script.
The Roadmap Committee maintains and updates this document as a service to the Unicode Technical Committee and to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2.