UTC Meeting 154
Sunnyvale, CA January 22-25, 2018
Hosted by Google
Meeting Logistical Information
UTC meetings follow the Unicode Consortium Technical Committee Procedures
UTC Document Register

Last updated: January 29, 2018

UTC Plenary Meeting:
    Monday, January 22         10:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Tuesday,  January 23         9:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Wednesday,  January 24    9:30 am to 5:00 pm
    Thursday,  January 25        9:30 am to 2:00 pm

L2 Plenary Meeting:

    Thursday, January 25         2:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Scheduled Activities:

Agenda Person Day and Time (PST) Location
E.1 Emoji topics Davis, et al Monday, 2:00 pm  
C. Mayan Pallan, Anderson, et al Monday, 4 pm  
E.2 Legacy teletext characters Ewell, et al Tuesday, 1:30 pm
E.1 Emoji topics Davis, et al Tuesday, 2:00 pm  
B.3/B.4 IRG/CJK Lunde, Jenkins, et al Tuesday, 3:30 pm  
E.1 Emoji topics Davis, et al Wednesday, 2:00 pm  

Ad  Hoc Meetings:
Ad Hoc Subject Person Day and Time (PST) Location
D. Maldives Pandey, Pournader, et al Monday, 12:30 pm  
E.1 Emoji Davis, et al Tuesday, 12:30 to 1:30 pm  

Other meetings:

Meeting Person Day and Time (PST) Location
CLDR regular meeting

Wednesday, 8:00 to 9:30 am
EMG meeting Davis, et al Wednesday, 12:30 to 1:30 pm  

A. Administrative Topics
A.1 UTC membership roll call
  A.1.1 Call for proxies
  A.1.2 Roll call

A.2 Declaration of meeting open

A.3 Registration of new documents

A.4 Approval of meeting agenda [L2/18-006]
  Latest version of this document

A.5 Minutes and action items
  A.5.1 Approval of minutes
    A.5.1.1Approve UTC Meeting 153 [L2/17-362]
  A.5.2  Action Items
    A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]
    A.5.2.2 Recently closed action items [L2/18-008]

  Minutes posted at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/consortium/utc-minutes.html

A.6 Calendar review
  UTC 155 April 30-May 4, 2018, host Adobe
  UTC 156 July 23-27, 2018, host Microsoft
  UTC 157 September 17-21, 2018, host Apple, Annual Full Members Mtg
  UTC 158 January 14-18, 2019, host VMware
  UTC 159 April 29-May 3, 2019, host Adobe                

  Calendar posted at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/timesens/calendar.html

A.7 Letter ballot review

A.8 Schedule ad hoc meetings

A.9 Membership update

B. Liaison Reports and Technical Topics

B.1  JTC1/SC2/WG2
  B.1.1 Meeting reports
    B.1.1.1 Convenor's report
    B.1.1.2 Liaison reports
      B. Unicode liaison report to SC2

      B. Unicode liaison report from SC2 [Constable]      
Script Encoding Initiative Liaison report (to WG2) [Anderson]
    B.1.1.3 IR's meeting report [Anderson]
    B.1.1.4 Consent docket
[Whistler, Anderson,]
  B.1.2 SC2/WG2 minutes, recommendations, resolutions, report
    B.1.2.1 Minutes [SC/WG2]
    B.1.2.2 Reports
  B.1.3 Amendments/Ballots
    B.1.3.1 5th Edition
      B. Additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (5th ed.) Amendment 2.2 [WG2/Suignard, L2/17-366]
      B. Additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (5th ed.) Amendment 1 (DAM1) [WG2/Suignard, L2/17-372]
      B.1.3.2 Review ballot comments [Anderson]
  B.1.4 Ad Hoc reports
  B.1.5 Review pipeline characters to ensure all new characters are in ballot comments or a separate document [Whistler]
  B.1.6 Review of document requesting new additions [Anderson]

B.2 SC2/SC22/SC34/SC35/SC36/TC37/SC29/TC12
  B.2.1 Liaison reports
    B.2.1.1 Unicode Consortium Liaison Report to TC 37/SC 2 [Constable]  
    B.2.1.2 Unicode Consortium Liaison Report to JTC1/SC 2  
    B.2.1.3 Liaison report from OWG Sort Editor [Whistler]    
  B.2.2 JTC/SC documents
    B.2.2.1 SC2
      B. 10646
      B. 14651
    B.2.2.2 SC35
      B. WG5
    B.2.2.3 TC37/SC2
      B. Liaison report [Constable]
    B.2.2.4 JTC1

  B.3.1 Liaison report [Lunde]

  B.4.1 Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for fullwidth East Asian punctuation [Lunde, L2/17-436]
  B.4.2 Information on the most recent version of KPS 9566 (KPS 9566-2011?) [Chung, L2/18-011]
  B.4.3 Proposal of 4 IDCs [Yang, et al, L2/18-012]
  B.4.4 Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for digits and various punctuation [Lunde, L2/18-013]
  B.4.5 Proposal to define Standardized Variation Sequences for BOPOMOFO LETTER I [Chan, Wei, L2/18-020]
    B.4.5.1 Comments on L2/18-020 Proposal to define Standardized Variation Sequences for BOPOMOFO LETTER I [Hai, L2/18-052]
  B.4.6 Proposal to add informative notes to U+311D, U+3120, and U+3129 [Chung, L2/18-021]
  B.4.7 Request to add one U-source ideograph [Chung, L2/18-045]

  B.5.1 Liaison report [Suignard]

  B.6.1 Liaison report [Moore]

B.7 UC Berkeley Department of Linguistics - Script Encoding Initiative
  B.7.1 Liaison report [Anderson, L2/18-040]

  B.8.1 Liaison report [Umaoka, Scherer]

B.9 Unicode Locales Project (CLDR)
  B.9.1 Liaison report [Davis, Edberg]
B.10 Unicode Localization Interoperability (ULI)
  B.10.1 Liaison report [Loomis]

B.11 Public Review Issues
  B.11.1 Issue 355: Proposed Update UAX #29 Unicode Text Segmentation
    B.11.1.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
    B.11.1.2 Document for review
  B.11.2  Issue 356: Proposed Update UTS #51, Unicode Emoji
    B.11.2.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/18-009
      B. Emoji Regex & UTS #51 Definitions [Davis, L2/17-434R2]
      B. Removal of emoji tag sequences from emoji elements [Pournader] 
    B.11.2.2 Document for review 
  B.11.3  Issue 357: Proposed Update UAX #44, Unicode Character Database
    B.11.3.1 Feedback
       B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
  B.11.4  Issue 358: Proposed Update UTS #10, Unicode Collation Algorithm
    B.11.4.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
    B.11.4.2 Document for review 
  B.11.5 Issue 359: Proposed Draft UTR #53, Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm 
    B.11.5.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback  [L2/18-009]     
    B.11.5.2 Document for review [Evans, et al] 
  B.11.6  Issue 360: Proposed Update UAX #11, East Asian Width
    B.11.6.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
    B.11.6.2 Document for review
  B.11.7  Issue 361: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database (Unihan)
    B.11.7.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
    B.11.7.2 Document for review   
  B.11.8  Issue 362: Proposed Update UAX #45, U-source Ideographs
    B.11.8.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
    B.11.8.2 Document for review
  B.11.9 Issue 363: Proposed Update UTS #37, Unicode Ideographic Variation Database
     B.11.9.1 Feedback
       B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
     B.11.9.2 Document for review 
  B.11.10 Issue 364: Unicode Emoji 11.0 Beta
    B.11.10.1 Feedback
       B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
     B.11.10.2 Document for review 
  B.11.11  Issue 365: Feedback on draft additional repertoire for Amendment 2.2 (PDAM) to ISO/IEC 10646: 2017 (5th edition)
     B.11.11.1 Feedback
       B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
         B. Response to feedback from WG2 email discussion list on PDAM 2.2 [Burge, Moore, L2/18-027]
         B. Feedback from WG2 email discussion list on PDAM 2.2 and DAM1 for Unicode 11.0 [Anderson, L2/18-031]
     B.11.11.2 Document for review   
  B.11.12  Issue 366: Feedback on additional repertoire for Amendment 1 (DAM1) to ISO/IEC 10646: 2017 (5th edition)
     B.11.12.1 Feedback
       B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
        B. Feedback from WG2 email discussion list on PDAM 2.2 and DAM1 for Unicode 11.0 [Anderson, L2/18-031]
     B.11.12.2 Document for review
  B.11.13 Other feedback
    B.11.13.1 Feedback     
      B. General feedback [L2/18-009]
      B. Feedback from WG2 email discussion list [Anderson]
    B.11.13.2 Other documents

B.12 Unicode Technical Reports, Standards, and Standard Annexes
   B.12.1 Stabilize Technical Reports #6, #16, #26 [Scherer, L2/17-414]
   B.12.2 Virama + ZWJ + Vowel_Dependent [Davis, L2/18-046]
   B.12.3 Clean Up Unicode Segmentation Rules [Davis, L2/18-050]

B.13 Editorial Committee/Unicode Standard
  B.13.1 Errata
  B.13.2 Editorial Committee report [Whistler]
  B.13.3 Unicode V11.0
    B.13.3.1 Authorize V11.0 beta
  B.13.4 General feedback for the Editorial Committee [Silva, L2/18-025]
B.14 Properties
  B.14.1 On Indic Syllabic Category of KHAROSHTHI VIRAMA [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-416]
  B.14.2 Bidi mirroring
    B.14.2.1 Bidi-mirroring mathematical symbols issues feedback [Schneider, L2/17-438]
    B.14.2.2 Proposals to ensure legibility of bidirectional mathematical notation [Schneider, L2/18-026]
    B.14.2.3 Pair mappings missing from BidiMirroring.txt [Pournader, L2/18-049R]
  B.14.3 Proposed special case mappings for U+24C2 CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER M  [ESC/Holbrook, L2/18-037]
  B.14.4 Changes to ScriptExtensions.txt for Indic characters for Unicode 11.0 [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-424]
  B.14.5 Reducing singleton Joining_Group values [Davis, L2/17-427]  
  B.14.6 Script_Extension values for some combining marks [Davis, Corbett, L2/17-430R]
  B.14.7 New Indic Syllabic Category Consonant_Suffixed [Pournader, L2/18-053

B.15 Ad hoc reports
  B.15.1 Emoji
     B.15.1.1 Ad hoc responses on emoji [Davis, L2/18-051R]

B.16 Other
   B.16.1 GPG signatures of UCD data [Loomis, L2/17-406

C. Scripts
C.1 WG2-related
  C.1.1 Review of script documents requested by WG2
C.2 Review of UTC script proposals
  C.2.1 Script Ad Hoc recommendations to the UTC [Anderson, et al, L2/18-039]
C.3 Egyptian hieroglyphs
   C.3.1 Revised draft for the encoding of an extended Egyptian Hieroglyphs repertoire (Hieroglyphica based) [Suignard, L2/17-415]
    C.3.2 Glyphs for Egyptian Hieroglyphic control characters [Everson, Glass, L2/18-036
C.4 Arabic
   C.4.1 Proposal to Encode Additional Wasla Characters for the Holy Quran [Lazrek, L2/17-252]

   C.4.2 Proposal for the encoding of three Arabic tanween characters [Muller, L2/17-377]
   C.4.3 More precisions about Hamza [Lazrek, L2/18-028]
   C.4.4 Proposal to include Hindko alphabets [Shaikh, L2/18-032]
C.5 Naming conventions for larger character sets [Everson, West, L2/18-005]
C.6 Mayan
   C.6.1 Preliminary Proposal for Encoding Mayan Hieroglyphic Text [Pallán, L2/18-038]
   C.6.2 Slide Presentatio on Proposal for Encoding Mayan Hieroglyphic Text [Pallán, L2/18-047]
C.7 Proposal to encode the Palaeohispanic script [Ferrer, L2/18-030]
C.8 Request to reserve the code point for square Japanese new era name [Japan NB, L2/17-429]
C.9 Feedback on proposed Unifon letters [Silva, L2/17-437]
C.10 Proposal for encoding the Garay script in the SMP of the UCS [SEI/Everson, L2/16-069]
C.11 Report on the Garay script 2017 [Riley, L2/17-322]
C.12 Report on the Bété script 2017 [Riley, L2/17-323]

D. South Asian

D.1 Review of Indic-related UTC documents
  D.1.1 Review of Indic-related documents and recommendations to the UTC [Anderson, et al, L2/18-039]
D.2 Proposal to encode two characters in Khojki [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-307]
D.3 Devanagari
  D.3.1 Proposal to add very important "sri" symbol in Devanagari Unicode block [Pathak, L2/17-410]
  D.3.2 Request to annotate DEVANAGARI LETTER SHORT A [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-425]
D.4 Newa
  D.4.1 Proposal to encode JIHVAMULIYA and UPADHMANIYA for Newa [Srinidhi, Sridatta,
  D.4.2 Proposal to encode the DOUBLE COMMA for Newa [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-440]
D.5 Prishthamatra
  D.5.1 Proposal to encode the Prishthamatra for Nandinagari [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-213R]
  D.5.2 Proposal to encode the Prishthamatra for Sharada [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-214]
D.6 Preliminary proposal to encode Tigalari script in Unicode [Murthy, Rajan, L2/17-378]
D.7 Proposal to encode Dives Akuru in Unicode [Pandey, L2/18-016R]
D.8 Malayalam
  D.8.1 Request to Annotate North Indian Quarter Signs for Malayalam Usage [Johny, L2/17-340]
  D.8.2 Proposal to encode MALAYALAM LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-276R]
  D.8.3 Proposal to encode the END OF TEXT MARK for Malayalam [Srinidhi, Sridatta,  L2/18-015]
    D.8.3.1 Feedback on L2/18-015 proposing Malayalam punctuation mark [Sharma, L2/18-034]
D.9 Encoding model to represent conjuncts in Syloti Nagri [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-418]
D.10 Encoding model issues with the Vedic gomukha characters [Sharma, L2/18-035]
D.11 India test standards
D.12 Thai
  D.12.1 Request to Add Thai Characters to ISO/IEC 10646/Unicode (WG2 N4927) [Kanchanawan, L2/18-041]
D.13 Changes to Core Specification for Indic scripts for Unicode 11.0 [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-423]
D.14 Request to change the glyphs of THIRTY and FORTY of Brahmi [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-426]
D.15 Proposal to encode the INVERTED CANDRABINDU for Sharada [Pandey, L2/17-428]
D.16 Proposal to encode the Khwarezmian script in Unicode [Pandey, L2/18-010]
D.17 Introducing the Amaragannada scripts [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-186R]
D.18 The two ways to represent Tamil Shri [Pournader, L2/18-054

E. Symbols

E.1 Emoji
  E.1.1 ESC recommendations for Emoji 11.0 [ESC, L2/18-023
  E.1.2 ESC Recommendations for Emoji 12.0 [ESC, Davis, et al, L2/18-024
  E.1.3 Emoji character proposals
    E.1.3.1 DIYA emoji
      E. Feedback on the name of DIYA emoji [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/18-029]
      E. Feedback on L2/17-356 proposal for DIYA Emoji [Sharma, L2/18-033
      E. Proposal to encode the DIYA emoji [Pandey, L2/17-356]
    E.1.3.2 Mammoth emoji submission [West, L2/17-420
    E.1.3.3 Razor emoji proposal [Parker, L2/17-431
    E.1.3.4 Proposal for YAWNING FACE emoji [Peters, L2/17-432]
    E.1.3.5 Dodo emoji submission [West, L2/17-441]
    E.1.3.6 Squirrel emoji submission [West, L2/17-442]]
    E.1.3.7 Axe emoji submission [Gamm, L2/18-002]
    E.1.3.8 Proposal for Parachute emoji [Holmes, L2/18-003]
    E.1.3.9 Chess emoji submission [Abdul, L2/18-018]
    E.1.3.10 Proposal for poison emoji [Völkening, Ahn, L2/18-019]
  E.1.4 Proposal for changing characters to emoji [Lunde, L2/17-421]
  E.1.5 Gender
    E.1.5.1 Analysis of Emoji Proposals for Gender‐Specific Additions [Buff, L2/17-439]
    E.1.5.2 Gender emoji strategy [ESC/Davis, Burge, L2/18-022]
  E.1.6 Samsung Extended Emoji Support [Burge, L2/17-433]
  E.1.7 Encoding emoji vs other characters [Davis, et al, L2/18-044]
  E.1.8 Emoji annual character budget
E.2 Proposal to add characters from legacy computers and teletext to the UCS [Ewell, et al, L2/17-435]
E.3 Update on enclosed postal mark [Silva, L2/18-017]]
E.4 Proposal to reconsider compatibility symbols and punctuation used in the DPRK [Silva, L2/18-004]
  E.4.1 Feedback on L2/18-004 [Chan, L2/18-014]
E.5 Proposal to encode Ancient Chinese Mathematical Symbols [Jiang, L2/17-219]
E.6 Proposal to add CC license symbols to UCS [Creative Commons, L2/17-242R]
E.7 The problem with the MOON SYMBOLs [Karlsson, L2/17-304]

F. Miscellaneousb>


G. Close of Meeting


G.1 Thank our hosts