verification: RE: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER REVERSED K?

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 11:37:56 EDT

My hunch was right, sort of. 'K' means strike out; reverse the 'K' to
indicate the third strike was called (the batter didn't swing). If the
catcher drops the ball (in which case the batter may advance), but tags the
batter out, it still goes down as 'K' (or reverse 'K'); if the runner
reaches first safely, it goes down as 'E2-K' meaning strikeout, catcher's
error.

I know this, because it's World Series time and I asked the bartender. And
it has nothing to do with politics; the notion that it does proved highly
amusing to the assembled fans.

In a semi-serious vein: wouldn't box-score notation be a suitable candidate
for encoding? It's pretty standard, has a specific syntax, and is spoken by
millions. I would think other sports might have similar "languages";
choreographic notation also comes to mind. Any Unicode-related activity for
such things, or would they be considered private use encodings?

-gregg