UTF-8 on this list

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 15:20:32 EDT

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 09:15:04PM -0700, James Kass wrote:

> Kenneth Whistler wrote:
>
> > JUUICHIKETAJIN further queried:
> >
> >> So "mojibake" is a loanword?
> >
> > Yes.
> >

> Found out what mojibak . . .

I'm okay with UTF-8 messages, but stuff like this annoys me. I usually
read my messages in Mutt on the Linux console, which means I'm limited
to a 512 character, single-width font. Normal UTF-8 messages, I can
get the English part of the message fine, and if I care about the rest
of the message, I'll open up a Unicode xterm. But this uses non-ASCII
characters to replace perfectly good ASCII characters, gratitiously
obfusicating the message.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and