Re: FW: chinese conversion tables

From: John H. Jenkins (
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 14:53:57 EDT

At 11:21 AM -0700 5/1/01, Magda Danish (Unicode) wrote:
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Michal Gerling []
>Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 7:24 AM
>To: ''
>Subject: chinese conversion tables
>I am working with UNICODE and the CJK market and need to know: Is there
>any one table or formula for moving from simplified to traditional
>characters and back in UNICODE? thank you very much for your help!
>Michelle g.

Partial data to interconvert between simplified and traditional
characters is available through the Unihan database. However, the
problem is not a simple one, as there are frequently multiple
traditional forms that correspond to a single simplified form.
Moreover, the vocabulary used in the PRC with simplified characters
differs on occasion from the vocabulary used in Taiwan and elsewhere
for traditional ones (e.g., the names of the chemical elements, until
recently the word for "computer"). It really isn't possible to
convert between simplified and traditional characters without doing a
lexical analysis.

John H. Jenkins

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Jul 06 2001 - 00:18:16 EDT