RE: Using hex numbers considered a geek attitude

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 08:55:30 EDT

Yves Arrouye wrote:
> BTW, anybody knows how to input characters on Windows using the hex
> codepoint? I know it's good for my brain to do the exercise
> of going from
> hexadecimal to decimal, but it is still a pain to have to
> type ALT-<DECIMAL>
> when all I have in my book is hex. That would be a reason for
> providing the
> decimal value (not in the tables, but in the properties pages
> that follow
> maybe), actually. But I am sure there must be a way to input the hex
> directly. Please?

BTW, notice that Windows' ALT+decimal method requires the code from the
encoding of the *command prompt*, not those of the Windows code page.

E.g., if you want to enter Unicode character 163 (i.e. 0x00A3, i.e. "£"),
you have to type ALT+156, which is the code for that character in the DOS
code page 850.

To enter the Unicode decimal values, you have to prefix the number with a 0.
E.g. ALT+0163 is also "£".

BTW #2: if you are on Windows, you are perhaps one of the people who
succeeded running the "cimaChrt.htm" utility that I posted to the Unicode
List time ago.

You can browse the chart to find your character, and then copy and paste it
where you want. Moreover, if you click on a character you also have the
*decimal* conversion of its code on the upper-right corner.

_ Marco