RE: Using hex numbers considered a geek attitude

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 11:44:54 EDT

John Cowan wrote:
> There is no general way in pre-W2000 versions of Windows to
> enter characters using Unicode codes.

Funny thing... It seems that we are both right in part: it depends on the
application.

I have Windows NT 4.0, but installed Office 2000. In Outlook 2000, I can
type ALT+01488 and get an "א": a Hebrew aleph (U+05D0 = decimal 1488 -- BTW,
sorry for sending one more UTF-8 message).

But the same thing does not work in, e.g., the Notepad program coming with
NT 4. Crazily enough, it also doesn't work in some other Office 2000 apps,
like Word.

> > You can browse the chart to find your character, and then
> copy and paste it
> > where you want. Moreover, if you click on a character you
> also have the
> > *decimal* conversion of its code on the upper-right corner.
>
> Which is only reliable for U+0000 to U+007F and U+00A0 to U+00FF.

I guess you mean that the ALT+ method is only reliable in this range: my
chart's decimal conversions seem reliable to me till U+10FFFF...

_ Marco