RE: Tags and the Private Use Area

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 12:27:56 EDT

At 09:44 +0800 2001-05-03, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

>2. How do I get software X to know how to process my PUA characters, or how
>do I document my characters for others to understand my data?

That's a good one. A very good one. Is there a way to define these
using the Unicode properties? Sorting could be done, but I don't know
about editing the database for local use. In principle it would work,
if the OSes are being written to handle user editing of such things.

Ten euros sez they ain't.

>3. Is there a need for some protocol to tag data (either internal to the
>data, as William suggested, or as metadata) to a recipient know either what
>my PUA characters mean, or where to find documentation that explains that?

I don't think so. I think this is pseudo-encoding.

--
Michael Everson  **  Everson Gunn Teoranta  **   http://www.egt.ie
Mob +353 86 807 9169 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Vox +353 1 478 2597