Re: Unicode-based Cyrillic-Latin transliteration table

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 06:17:55 EDT

No, but ISO TC46/SC2 does. http://www.elot.gr/tc46sc2/

>The goal is to improve an existing program I wrote which automatically
>detects the encoding form of Cyrillic text (8-bit character sets such as
DOS
>CP 866, Windows CP 1251, or KOI-8, as well as UTF-8) and optionally
>transliterates the text to a 7-bit ASCII representation that an English
>speaker can reasonably sound out.

Do you want transliteration or transcription? TC46/SC2's definitions for
these can be seen at http://www.elot.gr/tc46sc2/purpose.html

>Lots of Cyrillic-Latin transliterations are available for the Russian
>alphabet. I am looking for one that targets only the 7-bit ASCII set,
which
>rules out ISO 9

Which is TC46/SC2's standard.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>