Re: Term Asian is not used properly on Computers and NET

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 12:05:34 EDT

In a message dated 2001-05-29 7:10:48 Pacific Daylight Time,
Peter_Constable@sil.org writes:

>> I think Calling
>> CJK specifically Asian is not appropriate nor helpful, because Asia is
>> big and have hundreds of languages and scripts...
>
> This is certainly a valid point. "Far East" or "East Asian" might be more
> appropriate for CJK.

Using the simple term "Asian" is a trap I could have fallen into quite
easily. Thanks to Liwal for bringing this up.

Peter has an excellent solution -- much better than trying to explain the
term "CJK" to ordinary people -- and I plan to use the term "East Asian" in
the future.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California