RE: Term Asian is not used properly on Computers and NET

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 13:55:19 EDT

Doug Ewell wrote:
> Peter has an excellent solution -- much better than trying to
> explain the
> term "CJK" to ordinary people -- and I plan to use the term
> "East Asian" in the future.

But, if by "East Asian" you mean "languages written with Han ideographs",
you fall in another pitfall, because Mongolian, Russian, Vietnamese and many
other languages spoken in East Asia aren't accounted for.

Personally, I got used to the acronym CJK and, so far, I haven't met many
people who are so "ordinary" not to understand the explanation that "CJK"
means "Chinese/Japanese/Korean".

Rather, my problem with the acronym is that I don't know how to translate it
in Italian: "CGC" (for "cinese/giapponese/coreano") is horrible, especially
if you consider that it is pronounced chee-jee-chee.

Moreover, unlike the English acronym, the three initials are not in
alphabetical order, and this could be seen as politically incorrect. So we
should have "chee-chee-jee", which is even worse, if possible.

_ Marco