Re: FW: A product compatibility question

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 16:02:26 EDT

At 01:43 PM 10/9/01 -0400, Gary P. Grosso wrote:
>Because of Unicode's Han unification, I was under the impression that
>to get both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese to really look
>right would require using different fonts for each. To have different
>fonts for the same characters in a single document would seem to
>require use and recognition of language tagging.
>
>Am I just showing my ignorance on this subject?

If you want to show English and Chinese in the same document, unless (or
even) if the English is strictly for Chinese audiences, you will most
likely want to use different fonts. Standard office automation suppliers
like Microsoft have behind the scenes support for that, so that many users
don't even know that they are actually using a different font for Latin
than Han.