Re: FW: A product compatibility question

From: Gary P. Grosso (gpg@arbortext.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 17:00:32 EDT

I appreciate these responses. I am certainly not an expert in Han
unification. I am trying to reconcile what John says with what
appears at http://www.unicode.org/charts/unihan.html. For example,
there appear to be stylistic differences, at least, in a character
such as:
http://charts.unicode.org/unihan/unihan.acgi$0x4E9E
between fonts designed for different languages.

Regarding Asmus' contribution, I would assume that such products use
different fonts depending on what "block" the character is from, as
shown, e.g., at:
http://www.unicode.org/Public/3.0-Update/Blocks-3.txt

Since I don't see any definition at the level of Traditional Chinese
versus Simplified Chinese in the blocks, I don't see how an
application could properly switch fonts in this case. Perhaps
the answer is "it doesn't need to" but I'll admit to being a bit
skeptical on that point. I'm open to being convinced.

At 01:02 PM 10/9/01 -0700, Asmus Freytag wrote:

>At 01:43 PM 10/9/01 -0400, Gary P. Grosso wrote:
>>Because of Unicode's Han unification, I was under the impression that
>>to get both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese to really look
>>right would require using different fonts for each. To have different
>>fonts for the same characters in a single document would seem to
>>require use and recognition of language tagging.
>>
>>Am I just showing my ignorance on this subject?
>

>If you want to show English and Chinese in the same document, unless (or
>even) if the English is strictly for Chinese audiences, you will most
>likely want to use different fonts. Standard office automation suppliers
>like Microsoft have behind the scenes support for that, so that many users
>don't even know that they are actually using a different font for Latin
>than Han.
>
>>>We are working with a client who is a publisher of Chinese medical
>>>textbooks.
>>>Our goal is to set up a configuration that will allow layout of English,
>>>
>>>Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese characters in a single
>>>document.

---
Gary Grosso
ggrosso@arbortext.com