RE: FW: A product compatibility question

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 18:05:08 EDT

Gary,

In most cases it is a matter of user preferences. This is true in other
scripts as well. With most Latin scripts there are not as many rendering
problems. I may have characters in one language that do not appear in
another. If Unicode states that a script is Arabic it could be Arabic,
Farsi, Urdu etc. This will affect the rendering. In fact different Arabic
dialects vary in rendering.

Often it is best to let the user pick the fonts. A mainland Chinese reader
will pick simplified fonts and someone from Hong Kong or Taiwan will use
traditional fonts. A Japanese reader will use Japanese font. In this case
it is best to allow a use to specify a set of fonts. If the character
matches the Japanese font then use it, it not you may want to use a
traditional font to catch the missing Han.

Carl