Re: Roadmaps

From: Keld Jørn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 18:13:53 EDT

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 02:25:17PM -0700, Carl W. Brown wrote:

> I disagree with ISO's policy of charging for all of the public standards.

I would also rather that they be available for free. Some are.
I actually have some ideas to make all ISO IT-standards available for free,
with the agreement of ISO, but it is not so easy.

> It is a barrier for small developers. If I want ISO 639 codes for example,
> I look for public documents. These are copies of the ISO standards and may
> not be up to date or have transcription errors because a direct copies of
> the ISO files are copyright violations even if the data is a public standard
> that is free for all to use.

In the case of ISO 639 there is an online, official, up-to-date registry
available at the Library of Congress site.

Kind regards
Keld