RE: REALLY *not* Tamil - changing scripts (long)

From: jarkko.hietaniemi@nokia.com
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 18:03:56 EDT

> Custom character semantics are very costly in terms of support, and
> significantly limit users with respect to the selection of applications
> that can be used.

Not to mention that locale and/or "code page" based solutions are awful
in that they either bind the language to a document (a single document
must be expected to written solely using that one locale/page) or having
to use some higher level markup to separate different locales/pages.

In this particular case trying to use "@" as a letter character would lead
into all kinds of pain if the document(s) were then further processed with
software that knows nothing of this new locale/code page. I'm painfully
reminded of the various "national ASCIIs" of the 1980's that "reused"
various punctuation of ASCII to be their national letters.