REALLY *not* Tamil - changing scripts (long)

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 23:46:16 EDT

I dunno, Curtis. This sounds less like a job for Unicode and more like a job for other mechanisms, such as user-defined locales.

Granted that keyboarding is a pain if you choose a character collection that is not represented by a convenient keyboard. But the real issues appear to be mostly in linguistically related processing (like word breaking, sentence breaking, collation, and the like). In most cases these are not something that Unicode per-se can help with, but which user-defined locale data could.

Let's take the putative Tongva @ letter as an example. If I had to create a locale in, say, Java for it, I could create special casing information (if @ has case), a collation table, breaking tables, and the like and nail most of the issues that you have. Even loading a "spell checker" is really a locale- or language-related problem in most systems today. The main problem would be if you were using @ but actually MEANT û or some such. E.g. the Klingon problem, but with a real language.

When that's the case, then you have a case for encoding a new character. But the escaping mechanisms in Unicode, like SpecialCasing, seem ample enough to handle minority languages like these in all cases where you are just creating an orthography using an existing writing system's bits and pieces. It's not like Unicode has defined, say, "vowelness" or pronunciation.

IOW> If you have a new character that needs encoding, then the UTC can probably be cadged into encoding it. If you are using existing encoded characters from another writing system, then there is nothing to do >>in Unicode<< except note the exceptional use of those characters.

That does leave you with the must less happy problem of finding a platform with user defined locales (approximately no platforms conveniently do this).

Obviously I'm not an expert in these linguistic areas (and hence rarely comment on them), but it seems to me that the lack of other mechanisms makes Unicode an attractive target for criticism in this area.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture