UNESCO standard keyboards? (Re: Tamazight/berber language : ....)

From: dzo@bisharat.net
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 20:34:29 EDT

    In the context of Tamazight input Philippe Verdy wrote:
    [ . . . ]

    > There are probably some existing standard for keyboard mappings, promoted by
    > UNESCO and published in a ISO standard.

    If there were such a thing (for Tamazight or any other African language) I'd be
    very interested to know about it. My impression is that there are no such
    standards for African languages that use extended Latin characters. In fact
    SIL is apparently working with UNESCO on a proposed keyboard layout for African
    languages precisely because there is not yet any such standardization. See
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
    site_id=nrsi&item_id=AfricanKeyboard1 . Likewise, part of the reason for all
    the effort re keyboards that you see at http://www.bisharat.net/A12N/Projects/
    is that there lack any standards.

    Ultimately, however, we may be talking about not one keyboard that covers all
    languages nor keyboards for each language, but, as Marcel Diki-Kidiri of CNRS
    has suggested elsewhere, several layouts that would each cover a region or
    number of countries and all the languages therein.

    This may be a bit off-topic for the Unicode list but is definitely on-topic for
    the a12n-collaboration group for any who want to pursue it there.

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net