Re: 24th Unicode Conference - Atlanta, GA - September 3-5, 2003

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2003 - 16:24:39 EDT

    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin,

    Well, as a joke, we might all recognize the mild irony. As a serious comment,
    I have to respectfully disagree.

    If someone did momentarily think the conference was in Gabon, no real harm is
    done, as they will shortly find out there is no Atlanta there.

    Second, there is a tradeoff between precision and effectiveness of the note.
    If there are too many details, people will not read and therefore get value
    out of the note. You might just as well point out the dates are ambiguous
    since we don't indicate the time zone that is referred to. However, adding the
    detail will probably just discourage people from reading further or make the
    note confusing.

    The idea of including the country was in fact discussed during one of the
    early stages of the design of this note. It was decided that leaving it off
    was consistent with other materials and past conference notices and there was
    no inherent confusion. (Although I think we were more concerned with the
    Republic of Georgia than Gabon.)

    Realistically, more people will think of the state of Georgia than Gabon when
    they read this note. So I do not believe there is an issue of
    internationalization here at all. There is a question of style.

    I am speaking only for myself and in no way representing the views of the
    Unicode Consortium, Global Meeting Services (that manages the conference) or
    anyone else.

    Having said that, I will pass your comment along to the appropriate people and
    suggest they consider adding "USA" and/or spell out Georgia, in the notice and
    on the web site. (Or did you want a different kind of change?)

    If you have further or other concerns with the text or this note, please put
    me on the to-list directly, so I don't miss it. Or you might address comments
    to info@global-conference.com so that the conference organizer takes note of
    it.

    I hope to see you at the conference!

    Tex

    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin wrote:

    > On 2003.06.26, 09:00, Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Twenty-fourth Internationalization and Unicode Conference (IUC24)
    > > Unicode, Internationalization, the Web: Powering Global Business
    > >
    > > http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc24
    > > September 3-5, 2003
    > > Atlanta, GA
    >
    > The fist time this appeared on this list I just made a joke on how
    > "Atlanta, GA" should be interpreted, under the spirit of *real-world*
    > internationalization, as "Atlanta, Gabon" (cf. ISO 3166).
    >
    > This second time, still with "uninternationalized" location, further
    > implies though that, for some entities, internationalization is nothing
    > but a buzz word, with scarce impact in its (parochial?) views and
    > practices.
    >
    > -- ____.
    > António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    > <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    > R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    > PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    > +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    > http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    > http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |

    Making e-Business Work Around the World