Re: Korean compression (was: Re: Ternary search trees for Unicode dictionaries)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 07:44:50 EST

    On 24/11/2003 03:29, Kent Karlsson wrote:

    >I wonder why Hangul would need compression over and above
    >any other alphabetic script... It has already quite a lot of compression
    >in the form of precomposed syllables. I think we better start a project
    >for allocating precomposed "syllables" for many other scripts,

    > No, this was not serious ;-)
    > /kent k

    This approach would certainly have simplified pointed Hebrew a lot, so
    much so that it could well be serious. After all, Ethiopic was encoded
    as a syllabary just because the vowel points happen to have become
    attached to the base characters. And we already have some precomposed
    Hebrew syllables, FB1D, FB1F, FB2E, FB2F. But I guess it is too late for
    a change now!

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)