RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 09:57:18 EST

    I believe that "A" is not canonically equivalent to "a", but you still
    can't have filenames "A" and "a" coexisting in the same Windows folder.
    This is a consequence of having a case-insensitive filesystem. As to
    whether or not the case-equivalence of "ss" and "ß" should be expressed
    (a) only in Germany, or (b) everywhere, I confess that's not really
    something I'd considered. I know that Unicode does have some
    locale-sensitive case mappings (Turkish uppercase I to dotless lowercase
    I for example), I was under the impression that "ss" to "ß" was not one
    of them.

    I don't think it would make a great deal of sense to enforce it only in
    Germany, however. If you did that, then a directory tree FTPed from
    England to Germany might be unsaveable at the German end, so I'd argue
    that the default case mappings should be the ones used everywhere.

    Jill