Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 09:50:15 EST

    You are correct, Mark. I could probably intrigue people with tales of
    attempts at file systems that change their rules based on locale settings,
    but mostly it would just cause nightmares for anyone who understood what a
    bad idea that would be. Suffice to day that Windows will not boot if "I" !=
    "i" in a case-insensitive comparison. :-)

    To answer the original question, support of Unicode in *any* version of
    Windows (or indeed any operating system) is between 1.1 and 4.0, depending
    on what feature you are looking at. To answer such a question, the specific
    feature about which the questioning party is thinking must be given as a
    part of said question.

    I would not expect Windows (whose most recent shipping version shipped
    before Unicode 4.0 was released) to support 4.0 properties and such. But at
    the same time, if you have fonts and build a keyboard you can support any
    number of 4.0-only scripts.

    MichKa [MS]
    NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development