Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 11:30:09 EST

    On a somewhat related topic, the other day I got onto a Windows XP
    system and took a look at the Help item for "Unicode." You might
    remember that I chided Microsoft for its definition of "Unicode" in
    Windows 2000 Help, where Unicode was described as a "16-bit standard"
    that was "developed between 1988 and 1991," implying that the work was
    finished. Even at the time Windows 2000 was being developed, there was
    quite a bit of room for improvement in this definition.

    So I was pleased to see a much better definition in Windows XP,
    including separate descriptions of UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32. IIRC,
    there was some acknowledgement of the existence of supplementary
    characters. There is still a minor problem -- the abbreviation "UCS" is
    expanded to "Unicode Character System" instead of "Universal Character
    Set" -- but this is not going to mislead users greatly.

    I believe the definitions found in Windows Help are important because
    many users will go to them first. Awareness and understanding of
    Unicode among ordinary users is still not what it should be. Many still
    believe in automatic doubling of file sizes, for example.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/