RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 12:25:19 EST

    Doug,

    > You might remember that I chided Microsoft for
    > its definition of "Unicode" in
    > Windows 2000 Help, where Unicode was described
    > as a "16-bit standard" that was "developed between
    > 1988 and 1991," implying that the work was
    > finished. Even at the time Windows 2000 was being
    > developed, there was quite a bit of room for
    > improvement in this definition.

    You are right however, Unicode was officially still 16 bit when Win2000 was released to manufacturing. We though they knew about surrogates and new planes, it was not official and could have been changed.

    I still think that it was close enough that they should have enabled surrogate support by default.

    Carl