Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 10:54:13 EST

    On 12/01/03 09:57, Arcane Jill wrote:

    > I believe that "A" is not canonically equivalent to "a", but you still
    > can't have filenames "A" and "a" coexisting in the same Windows
    > folder. This is a consequence of having a case-insensitive filesystem.
    > As to whether or not the case-equivalence of "ss" and "ß" should be
    > expressed (a) only in Germany, or (b) everywhere, I confess that's not
    > really something I'd considered. I know that Unicode does have some
    > locale-sensitive case mappings (Turkish uppercase I to dotless
    > lowercase I for example), I was under the impression that "ss" to "ß"
    > was not one of them.

    That's neither here nor there. The correspondence of ss and ß is not
    one of case, either. The correspondence between "A" and "a" is recorded
    in Unicode tables, thus there is a standard for case-folding, albeit a
    culturally biased one. But there's no "official" Unicode standard that
    I know of (and that isn't saying much) that says that ss and ß have to
    compare as equals.

    > I don't think it would make a great deal of sense to enforce it only
    > in Germany, however. If you did that, then a directory tree FTPed from
    > England to Germany might be unsaveable at the German end, so I'd argue
    > that the default case mappings should be the ones used everywhere.

    You're right; that would be a disaster. Still, ss/ß is not a case of
    case. Um. You know.

    ~mark