RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Frank Yung-Fong Tang (ytang0648@aol.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 17:19:51 EST

    A better approach than asking "Does product X support Unicode 4.0" which in some way you can always get a NO answer is to
    1. Define a smaller set of functionality (Such as MES-1, MES-2, MES-3A)
    2. Ask 'Does Product X Support MES-1? Does Product X Support MES-2?

    I think that kind of question is more meaningful. Unicode is "Big, Powerful but Complex", compare to US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1 which are "Small, Weak but Simple". While the answer of "Does Product X support Y" is meaningful while Y is a "Small but Simple" stuff, the answer have less meaning while Y is a Big and Complex beast like Unicode.

    Surrogate itself could be a very small enough subset for the question, assuming if you don't consider the Plane 14 behabior is part of it.

    Please do not push too hard on commercial company to implement Unicode. Because there are TWO approaches, not ONE,  some commercial company took to implement the Unicode Standard in the history:
    1. Implement the next version of software according to today's Unicode Standard
    2. Change the next version of Unicode standard according to today's implementation

    The famous Korean Mess and the introduction of 15.10 Tag Characters should teach all of us a lesson- If you push a company too hard to implement the Unicode, it may push them to take the 2nd approach...

    Arcane Jill wrote:

    Damn right. I would like to know this too. In particular, I want all the math characters working, and all the musical symbols working. Note that many of these are not in the BMP. I want to be able to put these characters on web pages, and know that they will be displayed correctly on my own choice of browser (which is not MSIE)..

    And since I already have a Windows OS (XP Pro), I don't see why I should have to buy another one just to get these extras. I'm hoping it would suffice to make just the FONTS available to the world.

    Jill

    Frank Yung-Fong Tang
    Šýštém Årçhîtéçt, Iñtërnâtiônàl Dèvélôpmeñt, AOL Intèrâçtívë Sërviçes
    AIM:yungfongta   mailto:ytang0648@aol.com Tel:650-937-2913
    Yahoo! Msg: frankyungfongtan