Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup (was Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup))

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 13:16:17 EST

    Dear All,

    I find it rather disappointing, that the the question of coloring
    the horizontal line of 't' attracts more attention, than the
    original question.

    To re-iterate - in the original post, the string in question did
    consist of side by side characters, not ligated in any font known
    to me. And the legacy Tamil enocings have for obvious reasons no
    problem to style any single character.

    So, to promote Unicode usage, in a community, which partly sees
    ISCII unification as a conspiracy against the Dravidian languages,
    it would be very helpful to demonstrate, that everything that can
    be done with the legacy encodings, can also be done using Unicode.

    The most useful answers so far, were the assertions by Jungshik, Bruno
    and others, that the markup in
      http://www.jodelpeter.de/i18n/tamil/markup-uc.htm
    should be considered correct and, in an ideal user agent,
    render like the the TSCII encoded
      http://www.jodelpeter.de/i18n/tamil/markup-tscii.htm

    But I also assume, that ideal and reality will not match for years to come.

    It would be most interesting, if someone can point out a wordprocessor
    or even a rendering library (shouldn't Pango be the solution to
    everything?),
    which enables styling of individual Tamil letters.

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi