RE: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup (was Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup))

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 15:45:06 EST

    Peter Jacobi
    > To re-iterate - in the original post, the string in question did
    > consist of side by side characters, not ligated in any font known
    > to me. And the legacy Tamil enocings have for obvious reasons no
    > problem to style any single character.

    This specific case is not the one of "side-by-side" characters, but
    the the case of _one_ character which is combining around a base
    letter as two separate glyphs. These individual glyphs are those
    that were used on typewriters, instead of the single abstract
    letter. So on typewriters, you could color them individually, even
    if they were denoting a single letter. There was then no key on the
    typewriter keyboard to enter this character, and these glyphs had
    the actual status of coded characters. Even the base letter in the
    middle of the two combining glyphs will then have its own style
    or color: this is the exhibited coloring feature in Tamil, where
    the base letter is colored, but not its combining character that
    follows it. On typewriters, there was simply no combining characters
    but plain characters representing each part of the glyph and that's
    why it worked.

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com