RE: American English translation of character names

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 19:24:02 EST

    Jill,

    >I'm a programmer, and I'm older than most
    >programmers. I'm old enough to remember
    >punched paper tape ... but not quite old
    >enough to remember punched cards.

    Don't feel bad. My first job was for IBM helping them set up a production
    line for the 1401. This was a computer that had no vacuum tubes. All
    transistors. The plant manager was not happy because it was taking up
    valuable floor space that could have been used to build time clocks. After
    all this was IBM's real business not computers.

    It used punched cards however when the 360 came out and IBM switched to
    EBCDIC they changed the punch card encoding. The special characters changed
    to accommodate new characters like the not sign. The 024 keypunches had to
    be replaced. Be careful because even after the 360, other companies like
    Control Data continued to use the old BCD punch card encoding.

    Yes I worked with paper tape as well. I even worked on one machine that I
    would write programs on paper tape loops. You were very limited in what you
    could write. Branching was difficult.

    The first APL system that I worked on was the 5101. It was a predecessor of
    the PC (5150) It had an APL keyboard. They also offered Basic but the
    Basic was very limited. For example strings were limited to 18 characters.
    No bad for a $30,000+ machine.

    Carl