Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 20:53:38 EST

    Which script does the small community of native Aramaic speakers that still
    exists use to write their own language?

    Would they be happy if Aramaic was "unified" with Hebrew? I don't know but I
    suspect those that live in Lebanon or Syria might not - and it could even cause
    them political problems.

    Since Unicode encodes scripts I don't yet see a compelling reason not to encode
    the script separately. If there is a one-to-one relationship between characters
    in two scripts it is not all that difficult to configure software to find
    matches in either script when doing searches and not that difficult to
    transpose from one script to another if required.

    - Chris

    --
    Christopher J. Fynn