Re: why Aramaic now

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 19:30:23 EST

     "Elaine Keown" <elaine_keown@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Right now Jewish studies and Biblical studies people
    > are finally trying to convert to Unicode, fonts are
    > being made, proposals written, great experts are
    > looking over proposals.

    > In 18 months or so, this will all be over, and we will
    > go on to a different type of standard (support for
    > Semitics in C/C++? a keyboard standard?...), a
    > different Bible project, maybe even a different
    > character set standard.....

    Elaine

    Eighteen months is a very short time as far as character encoding proposals go.
    Even once characters are officially encoded in the standard widespread
    implementation and support usually takes quite a while longer. Unicode is not
    a "quick fix" for anything - better I think to look at it as a long term
    solution.

     If people expect things to happen quickly and to be able to use a Unicode
    based system just as easily as the system they are using now in only a year or
    eighteen months time, then they are almost bound to be disappointed.

    Go ahead and propose any additional Hebrew characters needed. But its perhaps
    best to leave unification of scripts to a separate proposal. The first is
    likely to be non-controversial and pass quickly while there are obviously going
    to be arguments about the later and so a final decision on that may take a long
    time.

     - Chris