Re: Tajik alphabet code

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 19:28:13 EST

    On 01/03/2004 14:57, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    >

    >>The cost of software is unlikely to be a serious issue. I haven't been
    >>to Tajikistan, but in many countries in that region almost any software
    >>is available for the cost of copying a CD. As a result Windows XP and
    >>Office XP (probably now 2003) are in general use.
    >>

    >The cost of copying is not relevant. The cost of adapting a software so that it
    >becomes usable for a given language is the one that prevails here. It's a
    >serious issue.

    Windows 2000/XP and Office need no adaptation, just fonts and keyboards.
    Well, the menus do need localisation, and obviously that is a
    significant issue (although I guess most Tajiks know or can easily learn
    the Russian for "File", "View", "Help" etc).

    Issues of localisation of non-Unicode software are off topic for this
    list, surely.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)