RE: A proposed change of name for Latin Small Letter THwithStrikethrough

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 20:24:06 EST

    "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com> writes:
    > > TH WITH STRIKETHROUGH
    > > ITALIC TH LIGATED BY HOOK
    > > PLAIN TH LIGATED BY CROSSBAR
    > >
    > > three separate glyphic representations of the same character
    > >
    > > LEXICOGRAPHIC VOICED TH
    >
    > No; three separate character representations of the same orthographic
    > function.

    Why are they seperate characters? They are seperate glyphs, but that
    doesn't make them seperate characters. They're all ligated th's used
    for the same purpose, with more glyphic similarity than many of the
    other glyphs unifed in the Unicode standard.

    > Me thinks the editorial staff of a given dictionary publisher that needs
    > to maintain it's conventions across different editions will certainly
    > say "yes".

    Does said editorial staff also need serif versions of all the Latin characters
    encoded so that the convention of using a serif font for the dictionary
    is also maintained? If they reset the text in a gaelic font, or even in
    a san-serif font for a compressed pocket edition, would the differences
    between the characters make any difference? I seriously doubt it.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm