Re: About the Kikaku script for Mende, and an existing font for it

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 19:31:08 EST

  • Next message: Mark E. Shoulson: "Re: in the NEW YORK TIMES today, report of a USA patent for a met hod to make the Arabic language easier to read/write/typeset"

    (Still not working, retrying to send this message with different options, there
    may be a problem in the Unicode mailing list server)

    For your information, here is a document better documenting the beautiful glyphs
    used in the "JG Mende" True Type font by Jason Glavy, and comments from the
    author of this font.

    The two first files below include the reference on the net to the location of
    the beautiful TrueType font "JGMende" on the web by its author, Jason Glavy:
        http://www.geocities.com/jglavy/african.html

    One of its question is directly referencing discussions for the standardization
    of the Ki-ka-ku syllabary within Unicode (see hist first message quoted below).

    Also the document was created with the JGMende font for which I created a code
    point mapping table as it currently uses PUA assignments:
        http://www.rodage.org/pub/JGMende-font.xls (Excel format), or
        http://www.rodage.org/pub/JGMende-font.pdf (first worksheet)
        http://www.rodage.org/pub/Mende-Kikaku-variants.pdf (second worksheet)
    The second worksheet groups character variants and order them according to Dr.
    Dalby list by their phonetic values.

    I have located the attachment related by Jason Glavy (who authorized me to quote
    him below in this message) at this URL:
        http://www.rodage.org/pub/Mende-Latin-and-Kikaku.pdf
    And another attachment which is a scan of the Dr. Dalby '67 list of Kikaku
    glyphs with their Latin transcription:
        http://www.rodage.org/pub/Mende-Scanned-Handwritten-List-by-Dr.-Dalby.pdf
        (large: 1683 KB)

    May be there exists some orthographic rule that specifies which syllable form
    should be used, or if this choice is made because of esthaetic reasons, or
    practical reasons with hand-drawing... So most of the 195 syllables have a
    secondary variant, and sometimes a third one.
    Some distinct letters also have equivalent Latin transcription in Dr. Dalby
    list, but this may be superficial and a caveat of the Latin transcript (Jason is
    not an expert, and other people that have the whole book from Dr. Jason '67 may
    want to verify this).

    Jason sent me a PDF quoting a reference alphabet for the Latin script and a list
    of glyphs composed with his font with corresponding phonetic values. You may see
    it in:
        http://www.rodage.org/pub/Mende.pdf

    Comments welcome. Apparently Jason is quite busy and would like that others
    discuss these issues (Jason just made a font to help someone requesting it to
    him, but has apparently no time to discuss it with Unicode). If you want direct
    contacts, you may try contacting him to get other contacts he has to discuss
    this script. You'll see a part of his email I quoted here below.