Re: Irish dotless I (was: Languages with letters that always take diacriticals

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 18:58:41 EST

    On 18/03/2004 10:30, Michael Everson wrote:

    > You mistake orthography and glyph choice with character identity.
    > "Dotless i" as a *character* is used only in Turkic languages, has
    > nothing to do with Irish, and never has.

    May I pick a nit here? Dotless i is used in the official orthography of
    at least one non-Turkic language, that of Udi, a north-east Caucasian
    minority language of Azerbaijan; I think it is also in the Latin script
    orthography of Lezgi, the language of a much larger minority group.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)