Re: 'lower case a' and 'script a' in unicode

From: Alec Coupe (A.Coupe@latrobe.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 00:41:44 CST

    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I should have been more
    precise in the original posting and asked why all designers of
    unicode-complaint IPA fonts, whose principal application is allegedly
    phonetics, follow the tradition of allowing LATIN SMALL LETTER A
    (U+0061) to change to LATIN SMALL LETTER ALPHA (U+0251) when it's
    italicized. However, this isn't my field, so pardon my ignorance - I'm
    just looking for a unicode-compliant font I can use for representing the
    phonological systems of my research languages. The only response to the
    posting that had any appreciation of the problem was from Vlad, who
    wrote:

            This certainly is an issue, I think. While LATIN LETTER ALPHA
    has restricted variation--it can only appear with the glyph needed for
    phonetic transcription--LATIN SMALL LETTER A does not: it may appear
    with either the two-storey glyph or the one-storey (the latter
    especially in italic fonts, but also in a fair few non-italic fonts).

            This means that not all fonts can be used for phonetics, and (if
    you're putting text on a website, say) you can have no guarantee that it
    will be displayed correctly on the viewer's end. And it won't simply
    display as a box or other glyph to let the user know that his or her
    software cannot display the appropriate character--it will display as a
    different glyph that, in this context, is misleading.

    I hope this can also be appreciated by designers of unicode-compliant
    fonts with all the IPA extensions. At the moment there is none available
    that doesn't have the rendering problem elucidated by Vlad.

    Alec