Re: Security Issues

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 00:51:24 CST

    Asmus Freytag a écrit :

    > so that some kinds of fallbacks are going to be tolerable, that would
    > not be tolerated in even the most rudimentary general purpose text
    > display.
    >
    > O'Connor -> OConnor could be an example of what I am thinking of, but
    > dropping a full-fledged letter would likely not be.

    Because apostrophes (middle dots, etc.) are relatively rare in English
    ? Far rarer than in French or, « worse », in Navaho where a single
    caseless sign may distinguish two distinct words [tsin = tree, ts'in =
    bone].

     I wonder what extra security you gain by removing let say apostrophe,
    hyphen, middle dot ? There is nothing wrong using caseless letters or
    marks with other symbols from a bicameral script (it depends on the
    writing system, that is the language using these characters).

    P. A.