Re: 'lower case a' and 'script a' in unicode

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 01:39:03 CST

    Alec Coupe wrote:

    > A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I should have been more
    > precise in the original posting and asked why all designers of
    > unicode-complaint IPA fonts, whose principal application is allegedly
    > phonetics, follow the tradition of allowing LATIN SMALL LETTER
    > A (U+0061) to change to LATIN SMALL LETTER ALPHA (U+0251) when it's
    > italicized.

    What are these fonts? I can understand that there may be typeface families that happen to
    include IPA characters, but which are not primarily intended for use with phonetics and so
    follow typical typographic conventions. I'm surprised to hear that this is also true of
    fonts 'whose principal application is allegedly phonetics'.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com