Re: Tamil 0B83: Tamil Aytham and Devanagari VisargaL

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (sisrivas@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 16:32:27 CST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    To: "Unicode Discussion" <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 11:01 PM
    Subject: Re: Tamil 0B83: Tamil Aytham and Devanagari VisargaL

    > At 22:45 +0100 2005-04-01, Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:
    >>Code Chart, the front page is not telling the truth.
    >
    > So?

    Let's tell the truth to the developers.

    >>It calls Aytham as VisargaL.
    >
    > Yes, it does.
    >
    >>It is wrong.
    >
    > Yes, it is.
    >
    >>It is technically wrong.
    >
    > No, it is not. It is a unique string of characters that identifies that
    > code position.

    Yes it is technically wrong and misleads developers.

    >>It does not do what Visarga migt do!
    >
    > No, it doesn't.
    >
    >>It is not Visarga.
    >
    > No, it isn't. Though it is probably derived from the Tamil Grantha
    > visarga.

    It is chicken or egg.
    It is phonemis only or phonemic based.

    >>It breaks Unicode implementations, because of it's untru descriptive name.
    >
    > No, it doesn't.

    Yes, it does.
    One of the main reasons why Tamil Unicode is not widely used is this
    Breaking Aytham. Though the particular problem is fixed, it is going to
    linger for another few years.

    Still it tells untre definition about Aytham. Yes it does break Unicode
    Implementations. It has the biggest potential to continue to break tamil
    Unicode implementation, because UC probagates non-true definitions. Science
    breaks when fiddled with. Unicode breaks, when fiddled with because it is a
    technical matter. Patching is a way of fixin fiddles, but it will not work
    for long. Sooner the better.

    >>It is an insult to a suffering minority language.
    >
    > No, it isn't. And Tamil is not a minority language. It has 74,000,000
    > speakers, according to the Ethnologue. Hungarian, by comparison, has
    > 14,500.000 speakers.
    >
    > Get a grip.
    > --

    I think you understand minorty as something else. I mean, people without
    power to rule themself with dignity. ruled by others is minority to me.
    Constantly under legitrative threats and actions to impose others will onto
    minorities as minority.