Re: Full Unicode Computer Keyboard

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 04:54:15 CDT

    At 02:48 +0200 2005/05/11, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
    >At 00:08 11/05/2005, Hans Aberg wrote:
    >>What I mean is that it might not healthy expecting te computer
    >>keyboard input to be able to supply the needed context in each key.
    >>It might be faster to enter French without accents, letting the
    >>computer software figuring them out, while retaining the ability to
    >>enter them in special case by more complicated key combinations.
    >
    >OK. But this is not what I am thinking of. I am thinking about
    >industrial applications and legal obligation to support the users
    >langages of the concerned area. I took the example of French not
    >being fully supported by keyboards, only to document the difficulty
    >Donald might face with languages of a region of Africa.

    The legal obligations method has often trouble to get working with
    computers, the latter which evolve so fast.

    >Innovation is pushed by sales necessity. If pemit to sell is granted
    >only if matching the demands of the users of reasonable size market,
    >innovation will come.

    As you point out, it is important to find some solutions that really
    work. Then people will start using them.

    >Donald's suggestion on led based keyboard is a good one. This calls
    >for two efforts. The key technology and the key content tables. To
    >call for the industrial key technology, R&D teams must feel secure
    >charsets have been established and documented (to define the number
    >of keys for example). The same for the law makers.

    The reason I am sceptical about keyboards with LED's/LCD's on the
    keys is that there is a development principle that speaks against it:
    In the long term, products are promoted having fewer mechanical
    components. By contrast, the number of transistors on a chip is
    mainly limited by development costs. Once those have been paid, a
    chip costs about the same regardless whether it has many or few
    transistors. So fly-by-wire airplanes has a long term development
    advantage over mechanically controlled ones. The same the applies to
    keyboards.

    >Today, we can certainly start working/testing about charsets in
    >using touch screens as you describe it. There are enough industrial
    >and security issues involved to justify R&D and prototypes if there
    >is a clear doctrine. In rough and secure, or vital environments the
    >touch screen issue you desribe are no problem. It is here vital
    >there is no possible hacking and errors. Very limited charsets are
    >of the essence: telephone numbers, upper cases, etc.

    So touch screen type keyboards should have a long term advantage over
    mechanical keyboards with LED's/LCD's one the keys, provided the
    feeling feedback to the human problem can be solved.

    >For example I need a table of all the numbers (0-9) in every script
    >for directly entering IP addresses and converting them and only
    >them. Such a table should exist in the 102 scripts?
    >jfc

    With the Ukelele suggestion, I have started thinking a bit on
    keyboard character layouts for math. Then I would want to have more
    modifier keys for the Math Alphanumeric Symbols. For the other math
    symbols, there is a real problem trying to find logical positions.

    --
       Hans Aberg