Re: what is Latn?

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 13:39:43 CDT

    On Sunday, May 15, 2005 3:07 AM JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
    > But the combination of ISO 639, ISO 3166 and ISO 15924

    I do not see clearly what is doing ISO 3166 here...

    > Now, the problem is when one discusses the possibilty of a
    > default script associated to a language: does the script exist?

    I guess it does not.
    For example, I do not see clearly the script to associate with the French
    (Paris) Sign Language. While this one is outrageous, there are a pile of
    others that are more subtle.

    > I cannot associate a name to a language name without some
    > kind of correspondancy rule I can check.

    I fail to see exactly what you are trying to "associate".
    I just guess strict bijection is impossible to achieve (I would add, as it
    is always the case in social sciences.)

    > I think reasonable to say that I can associate the name of a
    > script to the name of a language if they share identical
    > charsets when using (all) the encoding scheme(s) accepted
    > by the programmers community?

    I do not. Consider Gurbani and Gurmukhi resp. Hindi, Sanskrit and Punjabi.
    Five names, yet there is only one encoding scheme...

    Antoine