Re: Cyrillic guillemotleft and guillemotright

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 18:44:02 CDT

    Kenneth Whistler a écrit :

    >guillemet used to be pronounced 'gil-uh-met (see Webster 1913),
    >but among those who actually use guillemets these days, it has
    >be re-franglicized as giy-'may in English.

    I suppose this may be due to more frequent contacts with the French
    pronunciation.

    Interestingly enough the "l" has also disappeared in French, where the
    palatal lateral approximant (/ʎ/) has completely be replaced in the XXth
    century by a simple palatatisation (/j/). So /giʎmε/ is now pronounced
    /gijmε/. Cailler is now pronounced as cahier (viz. /kaje/, the h in
    cahier is a sometimes called a diacritic h, since it has the same rôle
    as a tréma and no etymological base).

    P. A.