Ancient Sindu symbols/alphabet (was Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan)

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 22:04:51 CDT

    Sinnathurai Srivas wrote,

    > I'm thinking of creating a font to represent ancient sindu symbols/alphabet.
    > Sindu is probably the worlds first part Graphimic part alphabet writing
    > system, probably used to enhance all other writing systems lately.
    >
    > I do not mind if it is treated only as graphemes or as a hybrid by Unicode,
    > I need code allocations for these entities. Any help would be appriciated.

    Is Sindu also called the Indus script (used at Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro)
    as shown in this proposal?:

    http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/N1959.pdf

    The only approved way to issue a font for a script which has not yet
    been accepted in Unicode, even if a proposal has been submitted to
    Unicode, is to use the Private Use Area. This, of course, means that
    the encoding will not be standard.

    In order to make sure that users are well-served by a temporary,
    Private Use Area encoding, everything about the font distribution
    should include notes about the fact that the encoding is temporary
    and non-standard. Some developers using the Private Use Area may
    wish to provide a conversion table (or even a conversion utility) for
    the font encoding as soon as the script becomes official in Unicode
    so that existing documents can be converted to the new encoding.
    (Naturally an updated font using the new encoding would need to
    be provided, too. :-)

    Best regards,

    James Kass