Off-topic (Re: All hail Cyril and Methodius!)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 01:07:52 CDT

    Alexander Kh. wrote:

    > In defence of "illiterate" Slavs, let me remind you that Christianity for
    > centuries has been destroying identity of many nations. Look for example
    > the movie Braveheart: in it there is a mention that bagpipes were outlawed
    > in Scotland of the time of William Wallace.

    Hollywood films really are not a good basis for making arguments about history. That said,
    Braveheart is accurate in portraying Wallace and his fellow Scots as Christians. The
    banning of bagpipes by the English had nothing to do with religion. Indeed, one of the
    points that the (devout Catholic) director and star of the film makes is that the English
    king is a godless man driven only by power and greed, while Wallace -- and the rightful
    Scottish king, Robert the Bruce -- are godfearing men.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com